Today I would like to introduce you to a product of Netgear, the Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC 2600 Smart WiFi router. This router is also advertised as a smart gaming router as it offers excellent WLAN speeds for gaming – up to 2.53 Gbit/s – and thanks to 160 MHz Bandwidth, the delay is greatly reduced. Dynamic QoS prioritizes traffic by application and device for games without delay, which is a great advantage especially when gaming over WLAN.
Here are some of the technical data supplied by Netgear (source: Netgear):
- AC2600 (800 Mbit/s at 2.4 GHz-256 QAM support + 1733 Mbps at 5 GHz 11ac) †
- Simultaneous dual-band WLAN-TX/RX 4×4 (2.4 GHz) + 4×4 (5 GHz)
- 4×4 11AC 80 MHz + 2×2-160/80 + 80 MHz *
- Support for multi-user MIMO (Mu-MIMO) for simultaneous streaming *
- High-performance dual-core 1.7 GHz processor
- Four (4) external high-performance antennas
- Memory: 128 MB Flash and 512 MB RAM
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) support
- Quad-stream and 160 MHz for higher speeds
- Dynamic QoS prioritizes intelligent video streaming and gaming
- Beamforming + (an intelligent, signal-focusing technology that increases the speed, reliability and range of your WLAN connections) for more reliable connections
- ReadySHARE ® USB for sharing your hard drives and printers with USB port
- ReadySHARE ® Vault-automatic backup software on a USB hard drive connected to the router
- Advanced Parental Controls to manage Web filters and access permissions based on profiles or devices
- On/off LED switch
- ReadyCLOUD ® USB Access allows you to access your USB memory anywhere, anytime, and securely.
- With Kwilt you can view and share all your photos from social media and now also from your USB storage device connected to the Nighthawk router.
- Now you can use the OpenVPN Connect app for iOS and Android to securely access your home network and your Internet connection from your mobile device via remote access. (unfortunately not possible with my Wondows-phone)
- Management of the home network and remote provision of guest access with Netgear Genie ®
- Dimensions: 285 x 185 x 50 mm
- Weight: 840 g
What's in the package
In addition to the router, the package includes four antennas, which have to be screwed to the router for the first time, a network cable, a starter CD, quick guides in different languages and a power cord so that the router also gets power. Everything is very well packaged and labelled, the antennas have both a print on the connection as well as one on the plastic packaging, so that you can connect them directly right.
Optics of the Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600
Pretty chic I find! The design looks modern and slightly futuristic. The processing looks very noble and although the router is made of plastic, it does not look cheap. It's definitely a device that you should position openly to hide it behind a closet door, it's way too pretty. Besides, he should be free anyway to send as well as possible.
Assembly and commissioning of the Netgear Nighthawk X4S
The construction is quite self-explanatory and easy to do. Within a very short time the antennas are screwed in and all relevant cables and plugs are connected to the router. It is important to make sure that the antennas are connected to the correct connections, but since both the antenna and the connection as well as the packaging are marked accordingly, errors are practically impossible here.
To connect the Netgear Nighthawk X4S to the modem, you first separate the modem from the power, plug in the router supplied) or another) Lan cable to one of the LAN outputs of the modem and plug it into the appropriate port on the router. Now you can still connect the PC to the router. Then you first switch on the modem again and if it is connected to the Internet, also the router.
As soon as the corresponding LEDs are lit, you only have to configure the router via the PC or a WLAN-enabled device. If you want to access a page on the Internet, the Routerlogin page automatically appears. First I updated the firmware and then set up everything else. There was a small problem here, instead of the message that everything was ready, the message "the page cannot be displayed" came up. After I reloaded the page, it was all set up.
The data for WLAN access is located on a sticker below the router. For security reasons, it is advisable to change this password immediately.
Overall the start-up is very easy, even without technical knowledge you can create it. For all steps there are pictures in the manual and the connections are different coloured, so that you could also orient yourself to the need for it. The setup is also very simple, requires fewer clicks and is basically self-explanatory.
What the Netgear Nighthawk X4S promises and what it holds
Unfortunately, the OpenVPN Connect app does not exist for my Windows phone, so I could not test this feature, which I find very unfortunate. In the meantime, I know more and more people who switch to Windows-phone, so that maybe an app would be worthwhile too.
The range of the WLAN was unfortunately also no higher than with the modem alone. The speed of the WLAN, however, is very good. Also, several devices that are connected to the router at the same time run very well. I have not found any connection problems, only the connection with us does not reach the bathroom, so that twitch looking and bathing at the same time only with the router does not work. In the bathroom I always have trouble with the WLAN and have hoped to get a better connection with the router. Unfortunately, this is not the case, I still need the repeater.
Access to a connected USB card reader has been quite simple. However, digital photo professional could not immediately access the Readyshare drive. Only after a PC restart was the drive available in the program. Basically I find the possibility to access from several PCs at the same time to a USB stick or hard drive very good. I would rather be here, all programs would find the Readyshare drive also right off the bat.
For gamer US streamer, the router is definitely an asset, both in terms of performance and optics. Only the range has not convinced me, through our thick walls with the water pipes, this router also does not manage. Assembly and setup are easy to create and can be easily created for people who are less adept at technology. This time there were also no problems with the connection to a cable modem, which was not so easy with the Nighthawk X6. If you want to buy the Netgear Nighthawk X4S, just check here *.
* Affiliate Link: You don't incur any extra costs, but I get a small commission when you buy.